Look into my eyes.

Look into my eyes.

Monday, August 3, 2015



Delivery workdays are very hard.  I had been warned that by the time Erin left I would be exhausted and I am.  The work at the farm with Vidal and cats has been a Godsend.  It was my only worry and now the two are great with each other.  I think Cosmo and Vidal will be very close buddies in the future. 

On the first day Erin and I spent time just in the house with the dogs and I was able to see how loving they were to Erin who just picked them up.  This helped me to know that as the days go on our own bond will increase.  Vidal alerted with anxious behaviors.  We went through the steps for alerting.  I couldn't believe we went out in public the first day and I had to drive by myself with her.  Loading and unloading were problematic due to a new vehicle but by the end of the 4 days we are doing well.  Lunch made me nervous since the restaurant was so busy but Vi did well and I survived.  The vet appointment was great.  Erin was able to pass on history and rational for decisions and the new vet worked with my little nervous girl.

Friday was our trip to school/work and Erin was able to help me develop a list of accommodations that are needed.  We worked around huge fans and dehumidifies running in the halls and things went well.  I have a meeting on Tuesday with my supervisor and may have more questions for SDWR.  We also went to Walmart to work with shopping carts and for me to see how sneaky people are with touching Vi.  Erin was great all weekend by fielding questions about what we were doing.  I'm used to that part due to Cosmo.

The third day was amazing. I needed to be confident that Vi could handle crazy situations and the trip to the Science Center proved it.  She was great and I must admit I was pretty proud of myself.  Being bumped from behind or noises from behind do startle her but she is able to shake them off.  She even watched the whale movie without any concerns.  It was loud and crowed and she was interested in so many things but still was able to alert.

Erin required Ted Drews Frozen Custard in order to have a great day!  She was nice enough to spoon feed Vidal until Vidal figured out how to eat it by herself. 

Erin and I  were able to arrange a dinner outing with other families, which was a hit.  Vidal got spooked by the doors and as we were waiting outside she was very nervous. We know that she hit one of the D rings from her vest on the door and the noise bothered her.  Once inside she was able to get down under the table and was relaxed.  She did alert by pawing for a drop in my levels.

At first loading into the car was a problem but today  (4) Vi does it with little to no hesitation.   She is becoming a trooper of going everywhere.  This is very important since I am planning that Vi will be with me full time day and night.  In order to work on doors we all went to the outlet mall.  I learned that the reflection in the glass doors is the issue.  It is worse if the door is semi tinted.  So I have to not hesitiate and move quickly with a little correction as we pass through.  Since my school has so many of that of door we will be able to practice everyday.  I have figured out how to enter my house with the glass door.  Vi is still sometime not happy to start to come into the house and will go into a sit.  But if I keep her moving on a very short lead and keep moving she does better. 

As I am writing this Vidal is at the glass front door watching the men mow.  Yea! She is not nervous at all.

My plan is to work on basic obedience at before school every morning.  The wood floors in my house make it harder for her to sit and she slides so much that retrieving the ball is a little too wild.  The neighbors are helping to leave dog scents in the yard to make going to the bathroom faster.  She is into marking.  I'm hoping that once we get into the routine things will go faster.  She is going to the door to let me know she needs to potty.

Cosmo and Vidal are doing great.  Yesterday they both sat side by side at the door.  Cosmo laid on his back and tried to paw Vidal so they could play.  Vidal wasn't so sure about that idea.  This morning they were laying on the floor in the bedroom only a foot apart waiting for me to get up. 

Thank you for the fast follow up on the Spaying issue.

The delivery went very well and we will hit the obedience work with full force.

No comments:

Post a Comment